How to Use CBD Vape Pen: A Complete Buyer’s Guide
Vaping is a relatively new form of CBD consumption on the market, but it has been rapidly growing in popularity. Is vaping more effective than other ways to consume CBD? Or is it all just smoke and mirrors?
In this helpful guide, you’ll learn everything you need to know about CBD vape pens, from how to use them to potential risks that might arise from vaping cannabidiol.
Why Are CBD Vape Pens So Popular?
- Using a high–quality CBD vape pen is the fastest and most effective way to take this non-psychoactive cannabinoid.
This method of consumption not only provides a higher bioavailability rate (between 34% and 46%), it’s also the fastest-acting. Users consuming CBD through gummies and topicals have to wait for 30 minutes to an hour for the effects of cannabidiol to kick in. Taking CBD under the tongue (sublingually) works faster, but it’s still consumed through the digestive system, so some of the potency is lost.
With vaping, the effects are felt in 5 to 15 minutes as the CBD goes straight to your lungs and then directly into your bloodstream. So, if you are after immediate pain or anxiety relief, CBD vape pens are the way to go.
- Best CBD vape pens are discreet.
One of the biggest advantages of using vape pens is convenience and discretion. Plus, they have a sleek, modern, and fun design making them look more like fashion accessories than devices for inhaling CBD. This is particularly true about disposable vape pens, which are user-friendly, small, and incredibly convenient.
Reusable vape pens are bigger, but they still attract less attention than smoking and are less harmful, a big plus seeing the number of smokers around the world.
- They’re portable.
Vape pens are so slim and small they fit snugly into pockets and purses so that immediate relief is always within reach.
- They’re available.
Users can buy CBD vape pens almost anywhere — from online and physical vape shops to high-end cannabis dispensaries and gas stations.
- They’re enjoyable and versatile.
Most of the best vape pens for CBD come in a multitude of delicious and exciting tastes and potencies.
- They’re affordable.
Sure, some vape pens can run up quite a bill, but most of the products on the market are reasonably priced, and with more and more brands emerging, chances are they will become even cheaper.
What Can You Use CBD Vape Pens For?
CBD has many health benefits, some purely anecdotal, and others backed by hard-core science. Some of the conditions that cannabidiol is said to treat or provide relief include:
- Seizures and epilepsy
- Chemotherapy side-effects
It’s not that other methods of consumption don’t have the same CBD effects. Still, the best vape pens for CBD oil are always on hand, and they provide instant alleviation from symptoms — the perfect option for people who need a dose of CBD quickly, efficiently, and discreetly.
How Do Vape Pens Work?
All vape pens are made of the same parts: a rechargeable battery, a heating element called an atomizer that transforms the liquid into vapor, a tank, or a cartridge, and a mouthpiece.
When the user inhales, a sensor turns on the atomizer causing the liquid to heat up and turn into vapor.
Not all vape pens are automatically activated, though, and some require users to push a button (or two) or wait for the light showing that the temperature is high enough to start inhaling.
Disposable vs. Refillable: Which Is the Best CBD Vape Device?
The names are pretty self-explanatory. A disposable vape pen is one you use once and get rid of, and a refillable vape pen can be re-filled with CBD e-juice. But which is better?
There are a couple of things to consider before we answer that question:
- Maintenance: Disposable vape pens are sold fully charged and pre-loaded, whereas refillable ones need to be charged at least every few days (depending on how often it’s used).
- Ease-of-use: Disposable vape pens are definitely easier to use. All you need to do is take it out of the packaging, start vaping and throw it out once you’re done. Refillable pens, however, are more complicated. There’s a bit of a learning curve to using these vapes, but according to user CBD vape pen reviews, it’s well worth it.
- Discretion: Both types of pens are small and great to use on-the-go.
- Lifespan: This is a clear point for refillable pens. Disposable CBD vape pens have a hundred puffs in them, and they’re done, while reusable ones last for much longer.
- Price: With refillable vape pens, there is a bigger initial investment, but they’re more affordable in the long run. Disposable pens can become costly over time, especially if you use them frequently. And they generate waste, so they cost the environment as well as your budget.
- Customization: Another plus for refillable pens. Some refillable CBD vape pens need to have wattage adjustment determining the strength of the draw. While this makes even the best refillable CBD vape pen more complicated to use, it gives users more opportunities to tailor their own CBD experience. Another thing you can customize: flavor. With refillable vape pens, you’re not limited to the taste and potency, and you’re free to choose from hundreds of CBD vape oils and flavors out there.
Both have advantages and drawbacks, so it ultimately depends on what you’re looking for in a vape pen.
How to Use a CBD Vape Pen?
When it comes to refillable vape pens, here’s what you need to do:
- Fill up the tank, or pod with CBD e-juice of your choice.
- Prime the coil (i.e., drop some of the e-juice on the coil head. This is entirely optional, and it is primarily used to avoid a burnt hit).
- Click the power button to turn the battery on (if the device is not air activated).
- Adjust the temperature. In general, the best temperature to vape CBD juice is between 365°F and 428°F.
- If there is a voltage setting, start at the lowest to avoid dry or burnt hits. The best voltage to vape CBD is between 3.3–3.8 volts, but it’s still a good idea to start lower and gradually go up.
- Press the button and inhale.
- Start slow and take larger, more frequent puffs.
If you’re using a disposable pen, just start inhaling. Most disposable vape pens are draw-activated, so there are no buttons to push or settings to adjust.
How to Dose a Vape Pen?
Getting the right CBD dose is tricky business and depends first and foremost on how much tolerance you’ve built up. It varies according to the condition you’re treating, your body weight, gender, and medical history, as well.
The good news with vape pens is that vaping is so fast-acting you can immediately gauge how many puffs you need to take for the optimal effect.
Can You Put CBD Tincture in a Vape Pen?
No. CBD tincture is made to be taken orally, under the tongue, and not smoked or vaped. The same goes for CBD oils (not the same as CBD liquids, or vape oils). Oil is too viscous to be vaporized and will most likely burn and break your pen, or best-case scenario, it will leave a bad taste in your mouth and not a lot of CBD.
Potential Risks of Using CBD Vape Pens
- Some people might be allergic to specific components of the CBD e-juice, most notably propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin (the most common elements in more than one of the best CBD oil cartridge). That said, these two substances are found in anything from cosmetics to medicine, so developing allergies to them is not that common.
- There might be negligible amounts of metal or other dangerous contaminants. However, when it comes to vape pens, a study has shown that “overall exposure to metals from electronic cigarette use is not a “significant health concern.”
- The vaping diseases that spread throughout the US in 2019 caused a certain amount of panic and distrust towards vape pens in general, even though the CDC determined that vitamin E acetate was the main culprit and not other elements found in vapes.
- One of the biggest dangers of a disposable or refillable CBD vape pen kit is the many unknowns. Simply put, we need more research to determine the benefits and potential adverse long-term effects of using CBD vape pens.
How to Avoid Risks?
- Don’t buy CBD e-juice or vape pens from unreliable sources.
- Don’t use vape pens that contain vitamin E acetate.
- Practice due diligence and be informed about the CBD brand’s ingredients, hardware, and manufacturing process.
- Consult a doctor or medical professional before you start using any form of CBD.
Bonus: CBDfx Vape Pen Kit — Best CBD Vape Mod
This refillable vape pen is the first and best vape mod for CBD oil. CBDfx, a company with long years of experience in the manufacturing of cannabidiol products, realized that most refillable pens of vape mods on the market weren’t calibrated properly to vape CBD resulting in the production of potentially harmful materials. This is why they created the best CBD vape kit — a vaping device explicitly designed for CBD ensuring consistent temperatures for optimal vaporization of CBD.
This incredibly simple, one-button-operated vape system is small and light (only 3 inches in length) and placed in a sleek exterior. It is sold with a USB charger and a premium quality ceramic glass/steel cartridge. The battery is compatible with almost any 510 threaded cartridges. Just add your favorite CBD vape oil, attach the connector ring to the cartridge, and you’re good to go!
Recommended by numerous external reviews and over 500 customer accounts as the best vape mod for CBD, the CBDfx Vape Pen Kit is here to provide you with the optimal CBD experience.
Vape pens are quickly becoming one of the most popular ways to consume cannabidiol, and for good reason too.
They have a lot going for them; they are incredibly simple to use and dose, have fun and exciting flavors and designs, and most importantly, they provide relief here and now.
Hopefully, our reviews of the best CBD vape pen has given you some insight into what vaping is all about and helped you choose the vaping device that best suits your specific needs and requirements. Have you got any favorites? Feel free to share in the comments!
Disclaimer: CBD oil is currently not approved by the FDA. You are using the products at your own responsibility. Always consult with a licensed doctor if you have any qualms or doubts about using CBD oil. There may be some changes of the products by the companies themselves after the publishing date of this review.